How Much Does a Kitchen Remodel Cost?
The kitchen is the heart of the home. It is typically where all the action takes place. The place where folks gather to share a meal or to catch up. Where kids do their homework and families sit to play games. Many times your kitchen design is a direct reflection of who you are. Deciding to make over the kitchen can be both an exciting and daunting task.
That is an excellent question. The simple answer is, it depends. We realize that sounds vague, but it is true. The cost of your project depends on the size of your kitchen and the quality of your products. Also, structural changes to the layout of the space will affect your budget. The average homeowner reports spending between $11,000 to $20,000. We have put together an easy reference guide that can let you know what you can accomplish within certain budgets, ranging from $5,000 on up.
Up to $5,000
With this budget, you can achieve a lot of aesthetic changes, such as redecorating and reconfiguring cabinets and pantries.
- Painting the walls and kitchen.
- Replace smaller appliances like toasters and microwaves.
- Repainting the kitchen cabinets.
- Add decorative accents like new lighting.
- Adding open shelving or replace old cabinets with open shelving.
- Replace the hardware on cabinets and drawers.
- Redesign cabinet and pantry interior shelving for better storage.
From $10,000 to $15,000
With this budget, you will be able to make many more changes, structurally and aesthetically.
- Upgrading kitchen sink and faucet.
- Replacing countertops.
- Adding a decorative backsplash.
- Refacing or refinishing kitchen cabinets.
- Upgrade old appliances.
- Install new stock cabinets.
- Replace lighting in the ceiling, or install under cabinets.
From $15,000 to $30,000
If your budget falls within this range you can make some real changes in your kitchen.
- Install high-end counters like Marble, Corian, or Granite.
- Replace cabinets with custom designed cabinets.
- Build out a new kitchen island.
- Replace flooring.
- Rewiring and/or replumbing to restructure and redesign kitchen layout.
- Custom design finishes like cabinet trim and Crown Moulding.
From $30,000 and Higher
Spending upwards of $30,000 on a kitchen remodel will permit you to have a lot more wiggle room for high-end upgrades and custom design elements.
- Installing high-end appliances with the EnergyStar rating and special features
- Installing high-quality wood or tile flooring.
- Upgrading to elegant faucets and designer sinks (like apron-style).
- Building custom cabinets using better wood.
- Opting for additional overhead lighting or decorative styles.
- Special features like wine coolers or pot filler faucets over the stove.
- Custom Built-in designs for dinings like breakfast nook or window seats.
When figuring our your kitchen remodel cost, we recommend you leave a little wiggle room in your budget. Let’s be honest, even during the most well-laid plans, something unexpected can, and usually does, come up. Therefore, depending on your budget and wants, kitchen remodel costs can vary. This is why hiring a design consultant can actually save you money. The Friel Lumber design team has years of experience and is up-to-date on the latest products and trends. Contact us today, or stop by our Kitchen and Bath Design Center.